From a haze of the by-gone centuries and into the light of historiography Sombor first surfaced in 1360, the year a settlement by the name of Szent Mihaly was referred to as being located on the estate of the Cobor family, the one that, at the peak of its power, was to supply heads to the Bodrog County. In 1478, listening anxiously to the beat of the war drums in the south, the Cobors completed th ...
After the expulsion of the Turks, Sombor was
incorporated into the Austrian empire on September 12, 1687, and it was in that
frame that it reached the acme of its importance and repute. Included into the
Tisza-Maros Military Frontier, Sombor became an oppidum fossatum in 1702, and
in 1717 it was granted the status of an oppidum militare, a reward for its
performance in the so-called ‘Varadi ...
The attainment of independence brought the town to the threshold of civil society and spurred its speedy rise to an administrative, communal, spiritual and cultural centre. In 1786 Sombor became the seat of administration of the Bacs-Bodrog County. As early as 1759 the Serbian Orthodox Community founded, and provided funds for, the four-grade Grammar School. Four years later a Latin school r ...
The nineteenth century was especially prosperous. Although with a delay, the tide of enlightened absolutism brought about the opening of a Hungarian and a Serbian reading room, in 1844 and 1845 respectively. With its first printing shops started in the 1850s and 1860s the town entered the world of Gutenberg's galaxy. In the second half of the nineteenth and throughout the twentieth century a numbe ...
The old city centre, as well as some structures within it, are all representatives of effective urbanization, greatly due to the technique used in planning of some of the streets. The ring road, a circular boulevard around the old centre emerged from the trenches around the former fortification. Streets lead out radially from the ring road, their position influenced by the neighbouring settlements ...