THE FIRST TENNIS TOURNAMENT OF SOMBOR was held, where the first place belonged to Istvan Bajsaji. Later, tennis will make sport in Sombor, in general, famous. In the 30s of the 20th century it was played on 10 courts, where, and not only there, Aleksandar Majer, Filip Maksimović, brothers Parčetić Josip, Karlo and Mihajlo were unbeatable, as well as Borislav Građanski, who was a good table tennis player too. Among the other, they won the prestigious “Erlt’s cup” for three successive years 1932/34, which belonged to them permanently.
With great ceremonies and celebrations, the foundation stone for the construction of the Prefecture building Zupanija was laid. The stone and works were blessed by a guardian of Sombor and chairman of the parish, Anton Dežević, and in the presence of Franc de Redl, governor of the chamber goods, Pavle Gardocija, the chamber supervisor, Martin Parčetić, the first Chief Justice of Sombor and the others. In the foundations they put a part of Jerusalem cross with other reliquies, two silver coins and one golden coin. However, it cannot be defined even today, which building that was or was supposed to be, because the Franciscans made the building of it impossible, so as not to mix “the pleasant sounds of Sunday service with the clanging of chains of Zupanija’s convicts”, because the building site was probably across the church of the Holy Trinity.
A project for the construction of a famous building of Sombor, HELL, as it was called, was signed. The building had seven windows, which suited cellar windows, and in the middle of the building there was the cellar door. All that was because the basement in building in the meantime became the cellar because later the whole terrain was by levelling raised for a metre. The building was pulled down in 1977 so that there the new part of the “Sloboda” hotel could be built.
A manager of the emperor’s goods in Bačka and Srem and a royal advisor, count Franc de Redl solemnly handed a written warranty to the inhabitants of Stapar, which stated that they will not be disturbed and moved from the place again. Namely, that warranty was given to them because in the same year the ancestors of the today’s inhabitants of Stapar had been forced to move here from their earlier habitats Vraneševo and Bokčenovići.
On the homestead settlement Eastern Gradina VASILIJE KOVAČIĆ was born, who, after studying philosophy in Požun and graduating from the theological school in Sremski Karlovci, came back to Sombor, to leave an important trace in its cultural heritage. At the turn of the 17th to the 18th century he founded a private Latin Grammar School, known as the Small Grammar School, for all the pupils regardless of their religion. He tried to improve education financially, and for that reason tried to introduce the third collection plate in churches, and thus opposed the church authorities, and was moved to Mol, while at the same time he was a regional archpriest in Szeged. He returned to Sombor in 1830 to be a regional archpriest, and he was one of the founders of the Serbian Reading-Room, as well as one of the negotiators for the salvation of Sombor, both with the Serbian army and the Hungarians, in the 1848/49 revolution, and was a headmaster of the Teacher-Training School for the rest of his life. He died on 20 September 1857 in Sombor, where he was buried.
A LOCK ON THE DANUBE was completed, by which the entrance to the Franz’s canal was moved from Bački Monoštor to Bezdan because the earlier entrance was closed by the Danube drifts. According to the project of Ferenc Mihalik, that canal made possible the navigation of ships 62m long and with draught to two metres. It was the first object of a kind in Europe built in concrete. The innovation was also that on the building site itself there was a concrete factory built; the concrete was in iron container took down to the bottom and there laid down. It influenced the price-reduction of building as well as the interest of the experts from Europe who kept a close watch on it. On the lock a commemorative plaque was placed, a work of a sculptor Antal Gerendi.
In Sombor THE SAVINGS-BANK OF SOMBOR started its work, with its chairman a lawyer Jozsef Bartal, with a capital raised from the sale of shares worth 30.000 forints, which were bought by 126 shareholders. The Administrative Board consisted of 12 members, the main book-keeper was Karlo Bijelicki, the later founder of the Town Library of Sombor. The institution run a business very well and soon became the strongest in Bačka with the capital of 4,6 million forints, which was three times higher than the capital of the strongest bank – Central Credit Office, realizing in 25 years the turnover of over 200 million forints.
In the Ban village in Baranja ĐORĐE STEFANOVIĆ KOJANOV was born, a founder of Stefanović family of poets, , because both his son Vladislav and his daughter Sofija will be poets. After completing philosophical studies in Pest, as a cadet of Tekelijanum, and later graduating from the theological school in Sremski Karlovci, he returned to Sombor and was a teacher of theology, to start working as a priest very soon. He spent the time of Hungarian revolution in 1848/49 teaching in the Grammar School in Sabac. He died on 8 February 1883, nursed by his wife Ljubica and daughter Sofija, who was a teacher in Kać, where he was buried.